Blogs > Pistons' Point

An inside look at the Detroit Pistons and the NBA.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Pistons president Joe Dumars insists ownership is not a problem

The new ownership and uncertainty that comes with being a team up for sale was a subject at Pistons president Joe Dumars annual postseason meeting with the media. Dumars was asked how much the current ownership situation affects his ability to do his job.

Dumars gave a typical PC answer, but if you read between the lines it’s apparent at least to me that things have certainly changed since Bill Davidson’s death. Dumars even took an extra few seconds to answer the question about ownership.

“You make it work,” Dumars said. “That's what you do. You make it work. I live by the same things that I say to my coaching staff, the players and my staff, whatever it takes, let's just get it done. I'm not going to sit here and say we've been hamstrung by the ownership situation. But what we do is we come in and we just try to just concentrate on what we have to do. And if something comes up and I have to deal with the ownership situation, then I go and deal with it. But it's not something that we walk in here every day and discuss. I just won't allow us to do that. You know what? You make it work. Whatever cards you're dealt, that's the hand you play.”

Dumars was also asked if he has to go through channels to sign players or can he make the moves he wants. Dumars said he has always had to go through someone, but now it’s just someone different.

“I've always had the ability to go out and sign players, but I never was in the position of not having to talk to somebody about it,” Dumars said. “Now, it used to be Mr. D that I would talk to about it and kind of tell him. Now there's a different group that I deal with. So I make them aware of whatever I'm talking about doing. But they haven't gotten in the way, hey, you can't do this or you can't do that. It's not like that at all. But you're asking me, do I have to speak with someone? Yes, I do.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home