Blogs > Pistons' Point

An inside look at the Detroit Pistons and the NBA.

Monday, September 28, 2009

More media day tidbits

A big topic of discussion at Pistons media day was defense. Detroit enters the season with a lot of question marks on the defensive end, but the Pistons’ veterans are confident the team can keep up the defensive standard Detroit established during it’s six straight trips to the Eastern Conference finals.

“We got a lot of guys who can score the basketball,” Tayshaun Prince said. “Obviously, each and every season defense is the key. I think the game has changed a lot since we won in ’04 and went to the Finals in back-to-back years. But I still think defense wins when it comes crunch time in the playoffs. I’m pretty sure coach and the rest of the staff and (my) teammates know we can score the basketball, but what’s going to be important for us is defense and rebounding, especially since we are going to have some guys playing the 4 that are really 3s at times. Having smaller lineups and what not. Defense and rebounding are going to be huge.”

“People think this is a year for us to rebuild, but I think this is a year for us to show that last year wasn’t definitely not Detroit Pistons (basketball).

Richard Hamitlon agreed with Prince that defense has to be a priority, even with all the offensive weapons Detroit has.

“If you look at our team and look at our roster, man for man offensively we can hold it down with anybody,” Hamilton said. “I think in order for us to be great we are going to have to do what we do on defense and that’s stop people. I think every guy on this team can do that. I just think from Day 1, we all have to be on the same page and know where guys are at and helping each other out, things like that.”

Team leader?
Hamilton was asked who the Pistons leader would be this season and had an interesting response.

“My job is to go out there and lead by example,” Hamilton said. “I always say, ‘I hate when guys get a chance to lead, but just talk.’ I think you have to live it and go out there and perform like it. Guys will respect you because of that. I think I love the role that I’m in. I got 10 years in. I’m not a young pup anymore so it’s going to be fun.”

Retiring a Piston
Ben Wallace admitted he was leaning toward retirement before he decided to sign with the Pistons this offseason. One reason he decided to comeback was the chance to retire in Detroit, a place he made a name for himself.

“I was pretty much retired,” Wallace said. “I know what I can do in this league and I know what I’ve done in this league. It’s one of those things where I thought I was closer to the end than the beginning. … I just figured if I was going to retire this would be a good place for me to retire.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home