Blogs > Pistons' Point

An inside look at the Detroit Pistons and the NBA.

Monday, January 25, 2010

Gordon hopeful for Wednesday return

The Pistons took another step towards getting back to full strength on Monday. Ben Gordon went through his first full practice since suffering a slight groin tear and is hopeful he can return as early as Wednesday’s game against Memphis.

“Today was my first time practicing for a full practice since I got hurt,” Gordon said after Monday’s practice. “It’s feeling really good. There is a still a little bit of pain there, but hopefully by Wednesday I’ll be ready.”

Gordon feels the biggest hurdle is making sure he is 100 percent both physically and mentally so he doesn’t favor the groin and possibly re-injure it or injure something else.

“It’s a big hurdle,” Gordon said. “I could probably play, but I probably wouldn’t be effective out there. I’d probably be risking tearing it again. Right now, it’s a mental hurdle. When I’m out there practicing I’m still conscious of every movement I make and trying to make sure I don’t overextend myself. Until I get that out of the way, I probably won’t be back. I’ll just continue to work on it until I can play without second guessing myself.”

Gordon has missed the Pistons last seven games with the groin injury. Gordon hurt his groin after returning briefly from an ankle injury that caused him to miss 11 games. Gordon sat out two games after initially hurting the ankle, but came back too soon, playing in three games before shutting it down for another nine games.

Gordon said the two injuries are similar because they limit you ability to cut and push off.

“A lot of movement in basketball come from your midsection,” Gordon said. “My groin controls all that. It’s kind of the same. This one is like a small tear so I don’t want it to continue to tear. I want it to heal back so I don’t have to worry about it.”

Gordon also learned from the ankle injury not to rush back too soon or else it can become a lingering or more serious injury.

“I kind of learned from the first one, just work each day and continue to work,” Gordon said. “Try not to get frustrated. That’s all I’m working on now, is trying to get healthy and not get frustrated while I’m doing it.”

Guard Will Bynum also went through his first full practice Monday and will be a game-time decision for Wednesday’s game against Memphis.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home