Blogs > Pistons' Point

An inside look at the Detroit Pistons and the NBA.

Friday, November 27, 2009

Prince making progress

Pistons forward Tayshaun Prince continues to make progress as he tries to return from a small rupture of a disc in his lower back.

Prince put in some extra work with strength and conditioning coach Arnie Kander after the morning shootaround Friday. Kander had Prince doing some side-to-side movements and then putting up some set shots.

“Most of the stuff we’re trying to work on, is make side-to-side movements or diagonal, anything straight and back I’m pretty much fine,” Prince said. “I haven’t had the opportunity to go for a long period of time to see if it will stiffen up and things like that. We been keeping it short and sweet right now. We’ll continue to make progress each day.”

Prince said he doesn’t have any limitations running up and down, the problems come when he tries to push off or make cuts. He is trying to ease into being able to make those moves and said there is still no timetable for his return.

“We didn’t talk about it,” Prince said of his return. “The doctors, nobody has talked about it. It’s just a situation where they put me in a position where I feel good in consecutive days as opposed to up and down, things like that. Once things start to be on a consistent basis then we’ll schedule that time.”

With a back injury Prince wants to make sure he is 100 percent before returning because the risk of having more back problems is so high.

“I’ve had other nagging injuries throughout my career, those weren’t a situation where they’ll keep coming back,” Prince said. “This is definitely a situation where I’ll have to take my time with it. It’s frustrating because the team is not doing well right now, you kind of want to jump back out there and help them. Especially me being a guy that hasn’t missed any games throughout my career. At the same time, you have to be patient with it.”

While sidelined, Prince has leaned on other players in the NBA that have had back injuries for advice. Rehabbing from a major injury is something new to Prince, who played in 496 consecutive games before suffering the back injury.

“It’s tough because I’ve never been hurt,” Prince said. “I been getting great support around the league from guys who have had back injuries, who had disc problems. Some of the things that they’ve been saying are something that has been going through my mind too. One day you feel bad, the next day you feel great. That day you feel great you don’t want to go out there and try to push yourself to do something because you going to feel it the next day. I’ve had a day where I feel unbelievably well then the next day it won’t be the same. They said to get it four or five consecutive days and then at that time if you feel great then that’s when you’re on the road to recovery.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home